Do you believe that creators should have the ability to get paid for the value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we're building Patreon, a platform that powers membership services for creators with established followings. Patreon strives to provide creators with insight, education, and tools that make it possible to retain creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus on creating and energizing their fanbases.
Our user base has doubled in the last year alone, and we have paid over $2 billion directly to creators on our platform. In order to support this level of growth, Patreon is looking for a Director, Corporate and Securities to build out our corporate legal function.
The Patreon Legal team's mission is to build the best legal team anyone has worked with by helping other teams achieve their goals while ensuring Patreon's long-term independence and sustainability. Our work culture is highly autonomous and impactful. We believe that hiring smart, ambitious and empathetic people and giving them strong ownership of their work leads to the best results.
What you will do:
- Own the corporate legal function as we build towards public company readiness.
- Advise on corporate governance issues, and support the Board of Directors and Board committees.
- Counsel on securities law compliance.
- Advise on legal issues relating to investor relations.
- Collaborate with the finance and accounting team on governance matters, including audits and financial reporting.
- Help establish and maintain domestic and international subsidiary entities.
- Lead the legal work involved in M&A, partnerships and corporate financings.
- Eventually hire and build out your own team to expand this work as Patreon continues to grow.
Skills and experience you possess:
- 8+ years of relevant legal experience in capital markets practice, public companies, or late stage private companies.
- Deep knowledge of securities law for public companies.
- Familiarity with corporate governance best practices, both in public and private companies.
- Ability to manage complex projects across multiple teams and stakeholders.
- Experience building and leading a team.
- JD degree and admitted to the California state bar, or eligible to register as in-house counsel in California.
- Passion for and interest in Patreon and our mission.
Our Core Behaviors:
- Put Creators First. Patreon is nothing without our creators.
- Achieve Ambitious Outcomes. Set, measure, and accomplish goals that deliver massive value to our creators and patrons.
- Cultivate Inclusion. We want an environment that retains and engages the diverse teams we build.
- Bias Towards Action. When in doubt, we take the next best step, then course correct when needed. We go out of our way to fix problems when we see them. We take ownership seriously.
- Be Candid and Kind. Be extremely caring and extremely direct in all you do at Patreon, especially when it comes to giving positive and constructive feedback.
- Be Curious. You don’t know it all, and that’s the fun part. Everything gets better when you’re curious. Things get more interesting, more clear, and more approachable. When you bring curiosity into the workplace, you’re growing yourself, your teammates, and Patreon as a whole.
Want to learn more about Patreon?
- Check out our reviews on Glassdoor
- Check to see if you know a Patreon teammate on LinkedIn