Our brands bridge the gaps we see in the world. Old Navy democratizes style to ensure everyone has access to quality fashion at every price point. Athleta unleashes the potential of every woman, regardless of body size, age or ethnicity. Banana Republic believes in sustainable luxury for all. And Gap inspires the world to bring individuality to modern, responsibly made essentials.
This simple idea—that we all deserve to belong, and on our own terms—is core to who we are as a company and how we make decisions. Our team is made up of thousands of people across the globe who take risks, think big, and do good for our customers, communities, and the planet. Ready to learn fast, create with audacity and lead boldly? Join our team.
This role acts as a legal business partner to defend Gap Inc. and its brands in commercial, consumer class action, trademark, copyright, patent, advertising, and other disputes and litigation. The role will also advise our supply chain, sustainability, operations, loyalty and payments, marketing, product safety, and design teams. This position requires strong business and customer acumen, excellent communication and relationship building skills, and the ability to pivot on complex legal matters for the continued growth of our brands and digital business, as well as to mitigate legal and reputational risk and manage resulting disputes and litigation. You’ll be directly involved in counseling the business and helping to develop processes to mitigate risk and protect Gap Inc.’s interests.
- Manage and drive effective resolution of commercial and IP-related claims and litigation.
- Help develop and drive implementation of measures to mitigate risk and further the long-term interests of Gap Inc.
- Manage complex legal matters and projects.
- Advise and train business partners on a range of matters that may arise in connection with our products, including those related to sourcing strategies and risks, IP, product safety, labeling and performance claims, regulatory compliance, contractual relationships, loyalty and payments, consumer privacy, and other topics.
- Proactively identify business issues, potential liability and reputational risks, and collaborate with business partners on creative and practical solutions.
- Direct the work of paralegals and supervise outside counsel.
- Juris Doctor or LLM from an accredited law school. Licensed to practice law in the U.S.
- Minimum 5 years relevant legal experience in commercial and/or IP (preferably trademark and copyright) litigation.
- In-house experience and/or retail, commercial or consumer products and privacy experience a plus.
- Able to cut through complexity to distill the most important issues.
- Able to work independently and cross-functionally in a fast-paced environment.
- Practical mindset with ability to balance legal risk with business impact.
- Action-oriented, able to prioritize and juggle multiple matters.
- People management experience a plus.
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic and Athleta, and 30% off at Outlet for all employees.
- One of the most competitive Paid Time Off plans in the industry.*
- Employees can take up to five “on the clock” hours each month to volunteer at a charity of their choice.*
- Extensive 401(k) plan with company matching for contributions up to four percent of an employee’s base pay.*
- Employee stock purchase plan.*
- Medical, dental, vision and life insurance.*
- See more of the benefits we offer.