As Counsel, Commercial and Product, you'll work closely with teams like marketing, communications, design, engineering, business development, and operations to help solve thorny legal problems and enable the business to scale and grow. You'll be drafting and negotiating a wide variety of commercial arrangements with partners including retailer, marketing, partnership and advertising agreements.
You'll also be providing sound legal advice to clients with respect to commercial terms, business operations, and product development. You'll need to be proactive and engaged, able to work well cross-functionally both internally and externally, excited about technology and e-commerce, and ready to roll your sleeves up and dig into tough legal problems to reach a creative solution.
We're looking for an attorney who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with broad responsibilities. You must have the ability to operate independently and work proactively with various teams across the organization.
Every day we solve incredibly hard problems to create an experience for our customer that is absolutely magical. Join us!
ABOUT THE JOB
- Draft, negotiate, and implement major partner agreements, including advertising and creative services agencies, as well as retail and vendor partners across all areas of the business
- Work collaboratively with marketing and brand teams in support of initiatives and campaigns, educating business and legal partners on legal requirements for advertising campaigns and conducting legal reviews of advertising copy
- Provide strategic and legal advice to your internal business clients
- Lead and take charge of special legal projects from start to finish
- Implement strategic sourcing best practices
- Remain up-to-date on relevant industry, consumer protection, advertising, consumer protection, IP, and privacy laws and regulations to ensure an ongoing ability to provide sound compliance advice
- Work closely with our product and engineering teams, especially with our consumer-facing digital advertising and marketing teams, to provide advice on legal issues during development of new products and features
- Draft terms, policies, and disclosures, and create and implement related processes
- Track contract review requests and agreed upon business terms in executed agreements
- Create and update our form legal agreements
- Train clients and colleagues on various legal issues
- Think ahead, see around corners, and help to prepare for legal issues that may arise in the future
We rely on our values to guide our decisions: Solve for the Customer, Every Minute Counts, This is Your Baby, Go Far, Together and Of Course, But Maybe. What does this mean for your role? We are looking for someone who has:
- A J.D. from a top-tier law school and membership with at least one state bar (preferably California)
- A minimum of 3-5 years of related experience working at a leading law firm or in-house legal department (in-house experience, especially at a tech company or retailer, a plus)
- Strong experience with legal issues affecting the Internet and e-commerce spaces, particularly intellectual property (especially copyright and trademark), advertising/FTC (especially advertising/marketing claims and endorsements), licensing, privacy, employment, SaaS, and payments
- Solid understanding of internet and social media landscapes, regulations and industry guidelines applicable to mobile, social media, and traditional marketing (including CAN-SPAM and TCPA), and comfort in dealing with related tech and media agreements
- A strong history of managing strategic partner negotiations and contract drafting from start to finish
- Strong negotiation presence and the ability to lead teams working towards a goal
- Sound and practical business judgment and ability to manage multiple, high priority, competing priorities
- The ability to provide clear, concise legal advice, work effectively cross-functionally to drive to results
- Experience in corporate law, pharmaceutical law, alcohol law, and/or privacy and data security laws (including GDPR and US-EU Privacy Shield) a plus
- A team player