uShip is seeking a smart, talented, and driven individual to join the uShip team as Corporate Counsel. As a key internal business partner, you’ll run point on legal activities critical to uShip’s online shipping marketplace, including: liaising with uShip’s external counsel, working with customers and law enforcement to respond to subpoenas and remediate disputes, and supporting cross-functional legal initiatives. You will work directly with the Customer Operations department and company leaders to help safeguard uShip’s marketplace against fraudulent activity and assist in dispute resolution, documentation and litigation. You will also work across the uShip team at large to support the contract review process to ensure that all contracts are reviewed, catalogued, and up to company legal standards. This role has a direct impact on revenue generating activities, including negotiating and drafting contracts for Sales and Marketing. As a thought leader and cross-functional contributor at uShip, you must be excited about transportation law, online marketplace risks, and the ever changing landscape of technology. uShip is looking for someone who is not shy about tackling the unknown, who is a problem solver, and who strives to understand the intricacies of transportation law on a global scale and the impact it has on our marketplace platform.
- Serve as a cross-functional business partner, providing timely and thoughtful legal advice on issues such as contracts, M&A opportunities, corporate matters, and regulatory and compliance issues
- Analyze, summarize, and respond to legal requests and other documents (e.g. subpoenas)
- Research and analyze law for response to, and preparation of, legal documentation
- Cooperate with law enforcement in escalated disputes
- Negotiate with outside parties, outside counsel, vendors, and clients
- Perform administrative duties with extensive processes, including the tracking and cataloguing of contracts across the uShip business
- Efficiently balance a daily workload that involves multi-tasking and rapidly changing priorities, requiring advanced organization skills
- Draft, review, negotiate, and interpret a wide variety of corporate / transactional contracts with a focus on commercial agreements, including MSAs, NDAs, vendor services contracts, SaaS, strategic partnerships, M&A, and paid media contracts
- Act as uShip’s Data Protection Officer (DPO) and maintain a pulse on the laws and regulations affecting e-commerce and online businesses, ranging from the GDPR, CPRA, and the Virginia CDPA to relevant case law, and propose solutions to mitigate risk in relation to those changes
- Serve as a key partner to the product and marketing teams
- Actively participate in Marketplace Industry Association meetings and activities
- Review and draft changes to user agreements and privacy policies
- Ensure that all Trademarks and IP registrations are kept up to date; fight any sort of infringement
- Establish best practices and formulate new legal processes in connection with business needs
- Support the legal needs of uShip’s wholly-owned subsidiary
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school
- Member in good standing of a State bar (Texas bar or willingness to obtain licensure in Texas is highly preferred)
- Extremely detail oriented
- Ability to effectively prioritize job duties based on company needs
- Strong legal research and analytical skills
- Possess strong written and oral communication skills
- Highly self-motivated with a can-do, flexible attitude, and an understanding that no job is too big or too small
- 2+ years experience in a corporate or technology law department, small to midsize law firm, corporate compliance department, or experience on a legal team of an e-commerce company
- Experience handling cases/investigations related to e-commerce, online payments, or other digital fraud is a plus
- Ability to review employment contracts and/or familiarity with employment law is a plus
- A working knowledge of national and global privacy laws and/or at least one IAPP certification including CIPP/US or CIPP/E is a plus
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook
uShip offers big-company benefits in a small-ish sized company because we really value and are committed to our people. There are even some extras that will surprise you.
- 100% Paid Health and Dental available
- 401(k) matching with no vesting
- Stock Options
- 100% paid maternity and paternity leave
- uShip shipping credit ($750)
- Pet Insurance
- Monthly Wellness Reimbursements
- Casual dress code
- So much more!
uShip is the world’s first and largest shipping marketplace, making it quicker, easier, and more affordable to ship large or bulky items. Consumers and businesses can compare and book bids from hundreds of thousands of customer-reviewed transportation service providers, ranging from independent owner-operators to the largest freight carriers and brokers. From cars to cranes and furniture to freight, our straightforward and transparent platform helps people, businesses, e-commerce sellers, and multinational logistics companies ship with greater speed and efficiency. Customers save money and service providers make money using their empty cargo space – everyone wins!
Inclusivity is Key!
We welcome diversity in all its forms, and believe we’re better collaborators, strategizers, and thinkers because of it. We show pride in our community by giving back and working with local charities. uShip is an equal opportunity employer. We are inspired to find candidates who embody our Core Values. uShip prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, parental status, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.