About the job
We're working with a consumer-facing eCommerce company to hire a temporary junior litigation counsel.
What you’ll do:
As Junior Litigation Counsel, you will work closely with the company's internal and external clients at every level to advise on litigation, arbitration, small claims, and subpoena response. You are a self-starter who is solutions-orientated and looking to join a highly collaborative legal department.
- Assist in all aspects of pre-litigation and litigation, including factual investigation, case analysis, tracking and communication of case-related dates and information, and the review and preparation of pleadings and correspondence
- Track, manage, and report on current, active pre-litigation and litigation matters
- Supervise and manage relationships with outside counsel, including directing strategy for litigation
- Ability to write memos directly to the CEO summarizing litigation matters
- Ability to communicate in a friendly and clear manner with consumers
- Knowledge of subpoena response, small claims, and arbitration is helpful!
What’s great about it:
- The opportunity to enable innovation by solving complex, novel legal challenges
- A dynamic work environment with a team of smart, fun, collaboration-minded attorneys and compliance professionals who enjoy learning from each other
What we expect:
- 4 to 7 years of legal experience, preferably in-house or at a large law firm
- JD degree and admission to applicable state bar - California license preferred
- Knowledge of GDPR, CCPA, and PII
- Experience working with the BBB and directly with consumers
- You’re an educator -- You can easily break down complicated laws and regulatory frameworks into understandable and approachable language
- You’re a skeptic -- You have a passion for truly understanding how things work, and the first answer you find is rarely enough
- You’re a clear communicator -- You are effective in a fast-paced environment where you give quick, clear, and practical legal advice
- You’re flexible -- You are willing (and enthusiastic) about learning and working on a broad variety of legal matters
- You have a great sense of humor -- Obviously
- Tools: Google Suite, Slack
- Location: Remote during COVID - San Francisco, CA
- Duration: 3 months to start
- Hours: 40hrs/week
- Rate: $70/hr - $110/hr
Legal.io is committed to the principle of equal opportunity. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), genetic information, military and veteran status or any other basis protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.