We're working with a top social media company to hire a Senior Legal Counsel - Safety, Content & Law Enforcement for a 6-month secondment.
Are you a lawyer who is passionate about the intersection of technology, free expression, and
online safety? This is the role for you.
What you’ll do:
The Company's Legal Team is adding a lawyer to our Safety, Content, & Law Enforcement (SCALE) team. Our legal team is on the front lines of safety, speech, and surveillance issues that affect the internet. The Company's real-time environment and international growth present unique challenges in these areas and we are looking for a strategic, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic lawyer to join our team.
Things you'll do:
- Provide legal advice to teams involved in content moderation, safety, and law enforcement issues around the company.
- Provide input and guidance on the development of policies and processes to enforce the Company's Rules and Terms of Service.
- Advise the company on policies and procedures for responding to requests for user data and to remove content, related transparency efforts such as our bi-annual Transparency Report and user notice, and legal strategies for responding to specific requests.
- You will primarily be responsible for advising on efforts to standardize the approach to global content moderation through a governance initiative.
- You will drive and advise on projects designed to ensure content policies and moderation processes align with relevant international standards, including on procedural fairness, transparency, and privacy.
- You will work cross-functionally to share guidance, build capacity, and develop creative and principled solutions to the challenges of content governance.
- You will also be asked to advise on the development of content policies designed to ensure compliance with legal obligations and work closely with colleagues to update existing policies.
- You will provide feedback to Public Policy on legislative proposals from governments that impact content moderation policies and obligations to produce user data.
- You will provide advice to legal colleagues to help them understand the safety and expression implications of product and design initiatives.
What’s great about it:
- The opportunity to enable innovation by solving complex, novel legal challenges
- A dynamic work environment with a team of smart, fun, collaboration-minded attorneys and compliance professionals who enjoy learning from each other
What we expect:
- Qualified to practice law in at least one jurisdiction.
- At least 6 years of legal experience.
- Professional experience working on good governance, capacity building, administration of justice, rule of law, and/or international law matters.
- Ability to integrate into cross-functional teams with a collaborative approach.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to explain complex ideas to legal and non-legal audiences.
- Location: Remote during COVID - San Francisco, CA
- Duration: 6 months
- Hours: 40hrs/week
- Rate: $70/hr - $100/hr
Legal.io is committed to the principle of equal opportunity. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, religion (including religious dress and grooming practices), creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), genetic information, military and veteran status or any other basis protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.