Varo is an entirely new kind of bank. All digital, mission-driven, FDIC insured, and designed for the way our customers live their lives.
A bank for all of us.About The Legal Team
Varo’s Legal team is responsible for all things “legal” at Varo; we support the business by identifying and highlighting any legal risks, interpreting the law and providing compliance recommendations, conducting contract reviews and negotiations, support for licensing, Varo IP asset management, Varo Product reviews, drafting product disclosure, support for corporate financing rounds, managing shareholder communications, engaging directly with regulatory bodies, and more. We also manage our team of outside counsels, maintain a repository of all legal documents, and are responsible for Varo’s Privacy and other policies.About The Role
Varo is seeking an exceptional attorney to support Varo on a broad range of general corporate and commercial matters, including commercial contracting, subsidiary management, corporate governance, corporate compliance, financing arrangements, and other general corporate matters. This role involves leading and handling cutting-edge and complex legal projects and matters.As Corporate/Commercial Counsel you’ll...
You Have The Following Required Experience...
- Advise on risks and liabilities of proposed commercial transactions and devise creative and practical legal solutions to meet business objectives
- Structure, draft, and negotiate a wide variety of commercial and other agreements supporting Varo’s business, as well as the marketing, information technology, accounting, and business development departments of corporate headquarters
- Provide advice and counsel to business team leaders on a wide variety of legal matters (marketing, commercial, technology, financing, real estate) in consultation with other members of the legal team and/or outside counsel, as necessary
- Assist the General Counsel in corporate governance matters
- Oversee relationships with outside counsel, including managing matter and subsidiary budgets
- Lead initiatives to strengthen the legal department through systems improvements and the preparation, implementation and refinement of forms, processes and procedures
- Provide substantive support for the legal team on an as-needed basis and keep abreast of applicable laws and industry guidance that impact the company’s commercial agreements and business practices
- Obtain and maintain a strong knowledge of the company, its mission, strategy and values, service offerings and objectives of supported business units
- Participate in the Legal department and team related projects, as assigned
- J.D. with top academic credentials
- Admitted and in good and active standing to practice law in California or Utah
- 5-7+ years’ extensive experience in general corporate and commercial law at a major law firm or in-house
- Superior contract drafting and verbal communication skills
- Acumen to effectively balance compliance with the law against business goals and initiatives
- Sharp mind as well as a high EQ with exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to develop relationships
- Track record of working efficiently with a client-service focus in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to interact with legal and business leaders internally and externally
- Process-oriented with a desire for constant improvement and development of best practices
- Hard-working and a self-starter with the ability to operate independently with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment and meet tight deadlines
- Strong integrity and commitment to ethics
Varo launched in 2017 with the vision to bring the best of fintech into the regulated banking system. We’re a new kind of bank – all digital, mission-driven, FDIC-insured, and designed around the modern American consumer.
As the first consumer fintech to be granted a national bank charter in 2020, we make financial inclusion and opportunity for all a reality by empowering everyone with the products, insights, and support they need to get ahead. Through our core product offerings and suite of customer-first features, we aim to address a broad range of consumer needs while profitably serving underserved communities that have been historically excluded from the traditional financial system.
We are growing quickly in our hub locations of San Francisco, Salt Lake City, and Charlotte along with colleagues located across the country. We have been recognized among Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Forbes’ Fintech 50, and earned the No. 7 spot on Inc. 5000’s list of fastest-growing companies across the country.
Varo. A bank for all of us.Our Core Values
- Customers First
- Take Ownership
- Stay Curious
- Make it Better
Varo is an equal opportunity employer. Varo embraces diversity and we are committed to building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.Learn More About Varo By Following Us
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/varomoney
Instagram - www.instagram.com/varobank
LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/company/varobank
Twitter - https://twitter.com/varobank
Engineering Blog - https://medium.com/engineering-varo
SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/varobankBeware of fraudulent job postings!
Varo will never ask for payment to process documents, refer you to a third party to process applications or visas, or ask you to pay costs. Never send money to anyone suggesting they can provide work with Varo. If you suspect you have received a phony offer, please e-mail email@example.com with the pertinent information and contact information.