Volvo Financial Services is the finance arm of the Volvo Group. The Volvo Group is one of the world's leading manufacturers of trucks, buses and construction equipment, drives systems for marine and industrial applications, and is the world's leading producer of heavy-diesel engines. Volvo Financial Services provides a full range of financial services for the construction equipment, truck and bus industries.
We believe in the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusiveness to make us a stronger and better organization. The motivation and passion to support our customers set us apart from others. Our company culture is how we interact with each other, with our customers and society as a whole. It is the foundation on which everything else is built. We embrace new ideas and challenge the status quo – innovation is driven by a willingness to change to stay ahead and find smart ways to create new solutions. Relationships built on trust with our customers, dealers, and colleagues set the standard – our people make the difference every day.
This position is dedicated to providing legal support across all product lines to support the Company’s mission to be the premier captive finance company in the United States. We are looking to hire a Senior Legal Counsel who has commercial lending experience and is forward thinking with respect to the transformation of our changing industry. The Senior Legal Counsel also provides assistance in strategic decisions, compliance related matters, product and service development and training. The position reports to the Vice President, Legal and Compliance (USA) and will be located in Greensboro, NC, USA.Core Responsibilities:
- Works with sales, operations, and credit functions in developing and implementing necessary legal policies and documentation for commercial truck, tractor, trailer, construction equipment, bus and other specialized transportation and commercial equipment financing products in the United States.
- Negotiates and documents a variety of working capital, retail finance and wholesale transactions.
- General support of legal compliance function, which may include anti-corruption (FCPA) and anti-competition, anti-money laundering, know-your-customer, FATCA, OFAC, and data privacy matters and training.
- Provides legal support for the restructuring of troubled transactions and litigation/bankruptcy oversight.
- Performs general corporate work, such as vendor contracts.
Required Education and Experience:
- Participates in special projects relating to business transformation and regulatory developments, both within the Volvo Financial Services US business and with Volvo Financial Services Global working in tandem with our sister companies.
- Maintains communication and coordination with other internal departments.
- Executes other duties and responsibilities as determined by business needs.
Required Competencies and Skills:
- JD (Doctor of Jurisprudence) from an ABA accredited school.
- Currently licensed to actively practice law and in good standing with at least one state.
- Minimum of four (4) years of experience in equipment leasing, financing and commercial transactions, preferably in a large firm practice, finance boutique, bank and/or captive.
- Direct working knowledge and expertise in UCC Article 2A and Article 9 transactions.
- Direct work experience in negotiating and documenting large and middle market transactions and restructurings.
- Legal expertise in one or more of the following categories preferred: financing of electric vehicles and infrastructure, financing of autonomous vehicles, insurance, usage-based leasing, electronic signatures and/or e-chattel paper.
- Ability to provide alternative legal strategies and structures.
- Strong transactional experience preferred.
- Proven leadership skills and experience.
- Experience with regulatory and compliance issues, e-documents and data privacy and security is a plus.
- Experience supervising and directing external attorneys representing an organization.
The above statements are intended to describe the general level of work being performed by persons assigned to the classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of the job.
- Ability to work effectively with other business leaders and their organizations with specific emphasis on the product companies supported by Volvo Financial Services.
- Have the ability to be a strategic as well as a tactical leader.
- Extensive ability to work independently, exercise sound business judgment, and manage multiple transactions simultaneously.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work effectively on multiple tasks in a demanding environment.
- Exceptional computer skills and experience with MS Office 365, particularly Outlook and Word
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills supported by effective interpersonal skills and a high level of integrity.
- Exceptional organizational skills with quality focus and attention to detail.
- Flexibility and adaptability with proactive, service-oriented approach.
- Innovative problem solving and analytical skills.
- A high level of integrity, energy, and a positive customer and quality focus with ability to work within and in support of a team environment.
- Fluency in reading, writing and speaking English; additional languages a plus
Volvo Group North America is an Equal Opportunity Employer