Requisition Number: 47605
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
Corning’s Law Department helps achieve the company’s business objectives while minimizing its legal risk through clearly defined roles in structured Centers of Excellence (COE), a focus on the substance of the work through optimization of tasks, an inclusive and collaborative culture across the globe, and conscientious behavior to adhere to policies and processes. The Law Operations COE delivers processes and operational support to assist the Law Department in achieving its goals. The Law Operations Specialist will support the Law Operations team to improve the day-to-day efficiency and effectiveness of the Law department, standardize processes and practices, facilitate change, and control costs.
Practice Operations: Minimize the extent the Law department resources are distracted by operational tasks and projects.
- Manage global e-billing system; monitor and manage global legal invoice data, track and maintain law firm/vendor data
- Guide support of e-billing system with knowledge on market conditions, industry trends, product knowledge, and possible solutions
- Provide end-to-end functional/ analytical support for business applications
- Manage billing coordinators and analysts that assist with billing matters
- Execute routine, ad hoc analysis, and reporting to support business objectives and business partner relationships
- Resolve system and process issues and incidents; support the business/IT to resolve open, moderate-to-complex issues
- Prepare and analyze performance metrics and highlight areas of improvement
- Develop system solutions and improvements to a variety of technical problems of moderate scope and complexity
- Support, implement updates, and maintain assigned software and application solutions (e.g. Onit)
- Develop, maintain, and enforce legal billing guidelines and matters
- Implement operational policies and procedures to enable efficient operational support and mitigate potential risks
- Provide technical and training support for new legal department hires
- Assist with optimizing workflows within the Law department
- Assist in identifying and implementing Law department tools to streamline new or existing practices
- Support module testing for system updates; escalate potential issues and possible resolutions to leadership
- Support the design, rollout, and training for new systems
- Develop and maintain relationships with SMEs (e.g. COEs, business, IT, Finance, CSS, GSM) (internal and external) to support the operational needs
Knowledge Management & Information Governance: Save team time and improve outcomes by making it easier to find answers and best practices.
- Facilitate access to knowledge hubs and centers of influence across the organization (e.g. Shared Drives, Public Folder, Box, Intranet)
- Ensure a consistent response on topics and issues
- Design an intranet experience that makes sharing and finding best practices much easier
- Guard against loss of valuable knowledge caused by staff departures and role changes
- Help enforce processes and policies to manage outside counsel usage and spend
- Self-starter, must be organized and able to work with minimal supervision, manage through ambiguity, multi-task and prioritize
- High level of professionalism and emotional intelligence
- Exemplary customer service mindset
- Demonstrated diligence, organization, attention-to-detail and follow-through skills
- Ambitious and aspires to grow professionally
- Eager to learn new things and apply knowledge to innovate, improve/simplify processes
- Demonstrated ability to influence and work effectively with global teams at all levels
- Strong business partnering skills
- Adaptable and proactive in identifying areas of need and generating action plans
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment and successfully manage multiple deadlines
- Technically savvy; early adopter of corporate technology for collaboration and communication
- Experience navigating the organization to find internal resources and tools
- Strong working knowledge of, and hands-on practical experience with, corporate technology tools and applications as well as those typically used in Law department settings
- Experience creating and delivering communications/ presentations for the training and development of internal stakeholders
- Demonstrated success collaborating with partners across other divisions, geographies and/or COEs
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) required
- 1–2 years of experience with Law Operations and management in-house or at a law firm (both preferred); clerical experience also preferred
- Demonstrated experience working independently and as part of a team
This position does not support immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Nearest Major Market: Corning